Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Last Airbender (2010)



So this one was another flick by M. Night Shyamalan. I must admit in the beginning I was not that big a fan of Shyamalan's work although there have been several movies by him which I've appreciated a lot like - "The Sixth Sense","The Village" and "Unbreakable". The only thing that I like about him is the way he thinks. As a writer I consider him as one of the unique thinkers of all time. Although he fails to make it big at the box office he still manages to woo the public by his story.

This movie however happens to be an adaptation although it certainly fails to create that magic. There were only a few good things about the movie. One of them was special effects. I was surprised to see 'A Shyamalan movie' with nice special effects.

I must say only the 'story' looked promising. Eventually they leave you with a hint for a sequel(well looking at this fiasco I doubt that there is going to be any). The pace of the movie was very slow and I yawned quite a lot. I was awakened once in a while by the 'almost promising' air bending and water bending effects and not to forget the dumb Bison which flew on the screen every now and then. The movie reminded me of 'The Secret of Moonacre' only with a tinge of action in it. However the action was not good enough either.

Noah Ringer seemed pointless till the end. I doubt if 'he' knew what was going on in the movie. Dev Patel tried his best but hey he is not a superhero after all. If the movie is poor then the chances of someone saving it from sinking at the box office goes to a cipher.

One thing I must say is that it could have been made better if a little bit of 'interest' was appended to their drinks coz all of the actors seemed lacking interest in their acts. The action scenes could have been made better. Little stories about the spirits and stuffs like that could have been narrated with interest. Occasional blackouts when moving from one scene to another could have been made more interesting than going to a new one silently. Because people believe in living the movie and not simply staring at it as if they are supposed to. That enthusiasm and zeal was missing from the movie. The Avatar was really getting on my nerves as he failed every now and then in bending the water. It became a little bit interesting in the end but my zeal soon died when they made us realize that the Avatar is not supposed to harm any soul. So there you go. All that trouble for nothing.

It became so pathetic that when eventually I saw the surprise in the end I could only say,"Okkkaaaaaaaay !". Thats it.

The decision ?? I leave it for the readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment